Comcast Jr. Data Scientist Intern in Moorestown, New Jersey
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
The Comcast Technology Internship Program is an 11-week summer program designed to identify high-caliber talent to build our organization with the best and the brightest students.
Over the course of the summer, your experience will include:
- Engagement: Working on creative, innovative, and thought-provoking projects within various business units at Comcast during your internship experience.
- Exposure: An inside look into the day-to-day operations of an organization at the cutting edge of media and technology.
- Professional development: You will be exposed to a variety of professional development topics facilitated through our partners at Comcast University and senior leaders within the organization. These sessions are inclusive of speaker series, skill-building workshops, and networking opportunities.
- Mentorship : Mentoring from fellow colleagues through the Empowering Future Leaders Program (EFLP) to help you navigate your experience, provide coaching, and expand your professional network.
- Fun: Continuously develop relationships with fellow interns through social activities, community building, and networking.
Department and Position Overview:
This role is part of the Security Development and Analytics department. The Junior Data Scientist on the Security Analytics Team is responsible for researching and/or developing solutions to identify suspicious or malicious behaviors using internal system logs and entity data for the TPX Security organization. The engineer must provide technical expertise and leadership on designing and developing statistical/machine learning models to analyze multiple data sets in our big data environment. Emphasis of this position will be in developing and deploying a robust cyber-security threat detection models in both on premise and cloud environments.
Employees at all levels are expected to:
- Understand our Operating Principles; make them the guidelines for how you do your job
- Own the customer experience-think and act in ways that put our customers first, give them seamless digital options at every touchpoint, and make them promoters of our products and services
- Know your stuff-be enthusiastic learners, users and advocates of our game-changing technology, products and services, especially our digital tools and experiences
- Win as a team-make big things happen by working together and being open to new ideas
- Be an active part of the Net Promoter System-a way of working that brings more employee and customer feedback into the company-by joining huddles, making call backs and helping us elevate opportunities to do better for our customers
- Drive results and growth
- Respect and promote inclusion and diversity
- Do what's right for each other, our customers, investors and our communities
- Responsible for designing, deploying, and maintaining mission critical security analytics solutions identify suspicious or malicious behaviors using internal system logs and entity data.
- Conduct literature searches on current techniques in threat detection, data mining, machine learning.
- Apply statistical, machine learning and big-data techniques to security, specifically in anomaly detection, pattern recognition, behavior-based analysis, and correlation.
- Consult with and/or assist in data engineering for proven techniques, including design, development, and efficacy testing
- Bachelors, Masters, or PhD in Computer Science, Math, Statistics, or related quantitative discipline
- 3.0 GPA or higher
- Demonstrates solid decision-making skills
- Proven analytical, organizational, and problem-solving ability
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and in group settings
- Strong interest in the technology, telecommunications, cable and media industries
- Demonstrated, extensive experience with designing and executing machine learning models and applications
- Strong fundamentals in applied statistics and probability
- Must have working experience in big data environment including Apache Spark and Hadoop
- Experience with data visualization and programming languages, including Python/scikit-learn/matplotlib, R, Scala or Java
- Experience formulating and driving applied research projects from proof-of-concept through implementation
- Experience with manipulating data and ETL in parallel processing and distributed compute environments
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Creativity to go beyond current tools to deliver best solution to the problem
- Current and future authorization to work in the United States of America
Additional Relevant Experience:
- Experience in applying statistical, machine learning to security a big plus
- Familiarity of information/network security detection systems/tools, logging systems, network architecture, and threat intelligence a plus
- Familiarity with IP networking concepts (TCP/IP, pcap analysis)
- Experience with AWS environment
Comcast is anEOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employerand all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex or any other legally protected category.